Mosėdis

     MosedisHistorical data. Mosėdis (Skuodas district) is located about 10 km. north of Salantai. The river Bartuva flows through the town. From the second half of the 19th century until 1950 Mosedis was the centre of the (small rural) district. The location was mentioned in historical sources in 1253.
Mosėdis never had a historical coat of arms. When discussing the ideas of a new coat of arms in the commission, together with the representatives of the local eldership, it was decided to depict a bear carrying a stone. The same symbols are used in the stone museum sign.
Bear has played an important role in cult rites in prehistoric times. In the cultures of northern people the bear is worshiped as a symbol of strength, male courage. In some countries, bear is the moon and resurrection emblem, apparently due to its winter sleep.
In the symbolic language, the stone is often associated with the eternal power of God because of its hardness and immutability. They often mark sacred places. Stones - tombstones meant the protection of the deceased from hostile powers.
The red colour of the shield in heraldry means courage, bravery, and love.
The golden colour symbolizes nobility, honesty, and intelligence.
The artist Saulius Bajorinas prepared the sketch for Mosėdis coat of arms. It was approved by the Heraldry Commission on 11 of July, 2002.
Description of the coat of arms. In the red field a golden bear carrying a black stone in the front paws are portrayed.


Mosedis1
Mosedis2

We have 26 guests and no members online