There is Apuolė landscape and historical park with the area of 40 ha 8 kilometres south-east from Skuodas. It preserves picturesque hill complex of Western Curonia, castle hill of Apuolė, oldest Lithuanian settlements (first mentioned in historical sources in the year 853) and remains of the ancient grave.
People were using the castle hill of Apuolė from the first centuries AD to the 13th century. It belonged to the Curonians, who built wooden castle and dug a deep well there. Rimbert's chronicle called “The Life of St. Auscharius“ (9th century AD) mentions that settlers of Apuolė had successfully withstood the attack of the Danes. In 853 Olaf, the king of Sweden, with his large armed forces attacked Apuolė settlement and castle. After eight days of fighting settlers of Apuolė surrendered and accepted the reign of Sweden. In words of Rimbert, the defenders of Apuolė paid the Swedes a large ransom: gave back armaments and gold previously taken from the Danes and added half pound of silver for each man found in the castle.
Curonians, who had failed to form their state, were forced to acknowledge the reign of the Order of Sword in 1229-1231 and the reign of the Order of Livonia in 1267. Finally subjugated in the year 1267, in 15th-17th century southern part of Curonians coalesced with Samogitians and the northern part blended into Latvians. Apuolė is unofficially called the capital of Lithuanian and Latvian Curonia.
In 1928 and 1931-32 there were archaeological digs in the place where Apuolės castle had once been standing. Lithuanian, Latvian and Swedish archaeologists participated. Their findings are now kept in History museum of Kaunas.
Skuodas is half rimmed by Užluobė, Puodkaliai and Kubiliškė castle hills. Puodkaliai castle hill is one of the biggest Lithuanian castle hills in the frontier with Latvia. Manors were built near fortified settlements and former wooden castles on some castle hills and later cities and villages grew near such manors (Skuodas, Mosėdis, etc.).
There is a castle hill on the left bank of Šventoji in Kalviai village of Lenkimai parish. Right in front of it, in a farmstead just a little bit further from the right bank, famous Lithuanian historian and educator Simonas Daukantas was born in 1793.
Skuodas is the land of the Curonians and the Samogitians.